Chislett Developments

History

Greg’s father Norm arrived during the 1940’s as a young man at Boundary Bend, 20 minutes drive down the Murray River from Kenley, north western Victoria, Australia. Here with his two brothers he set up and operated a red gum saw mill, and at the same time, established a citrus orchard.

Chislett Office

These were times of severe war related shortages of materials and equipment, and their irrigation pump on the river was driven by a large wood guzzling steam engine, loose rooted nursery trees arrived by train from Sydney, and once planted in the orchard, were hand watered from a water cart. A few years later, manual portable sprinkler lines were introduced and tree spraying was by hand pieces on hoses.  Citrus fruit was harvested into wooden boxes, manually loaded onto trailers and conveyed to the packing shed. Packing was again into handmade wooden boxes and each loaded by hand onto trucks for market. The introduction of the tractor mounted forklift and half tonne bulk bins revolutionised fruit handling in the early 1960’s.

 After the sale of the saw mill, Norm bought 16 hectares of land at the confluence of the Murray and Wakool rivers at Kenley in 1959.

Three generations of Chislett’s have seen this modest beginning expand into the current 168 hectare property, operated by their family company, Chislett Farms Pty Ltd. Today, irrigation is by a radio controlled, computerised drip system driven by variable frequency drive pumps, and tree spraying is by 4000 litre multi fan sprayers. Fruit is delivered to the packing shed in bulk plastic bins loaded onto a 40 tonne B-double.

Web strategy and design by LCUBED